Monday, June 21, 2010

Novels: Writing for a female audience?

I am doing mostly action, fantasy and science fiction, so one might think my readers are mostly adolescent males. A very interesting thing is, that I do have a female audience and this is something I appreciate.
I received a lot of feedback that especially women said they like the way I kill (in my novels) and describe sexual encounters in that explicit way I do. Even FarCry - Götterdämmerung, which is actually a 'written shooter' (meaning page number and body count are approximately the same;-) received positive feedback by women - and disasterous by men. What strikes me as funny is that most men do consider my work as to bloody and to sexual - and I wonder why that is. 
Is there something in my work that repels the one and attracts the other? Well, we shall see in the time to come...

So, questions like "Why do I have a female audience?" or more precisely "What in my work triggers that female response?" remains. For me as an artist this is vital to know. Any ideas?

Check out my novels; on Amazon and my website you can find reading extracts as examples (in German only). 



No comments:

Post a Comment