Thursday, August 29, 2013

NOVEL | AZARYA - about making writing notes

"How do you find the time to write, Mike?"

That is a question I often hear. 

Well, there are a lot of things to consider, because one works a full-time job, has a family - and needs time for writing. So the first thing my wife and I did was having agreements about how and when to spend time for one's project.When she works on her projects I have time for mine as well, and so on.


(c) Azarya - My original notes from 2012, Michael T. Bhatty
A practical approach, of course, is this: Making notes whenever I can, for example. The sequence on the beach, where I describe Tessa's absently moving legs while reading was based in reality. At our last vacation on a ship a young woman lay across from us on the pooldeck and read - yes, like all the women on board then - 'Shades of grey'. And she seemed lost in thought, moving her feet over her legs, while reading.
That scene along with her black bikini made it right into the book. Funny thing was that we always sat across and talked of course. I even got the offer to read her 'Shades of Grey'.



Well, the essence of this is: I make notes if I see something that inspires me, at restaurants, trains or planes. Smartphone or pen and paper, whatever is at hand. 

Oh, and when appropriate I ask people if I am allowed to use their words. Seemed important to me.

Cheers,
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment